License: Open Source
Requirements: Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10
VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and a special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better effiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC media player audio support. It supports many new devices inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
VLC Media Player Features:
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for conversion, including 10bits.
- Video outputs for Windows 8 and 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- Debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- Deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- Resamplers for higher quality audio.
- Dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- Audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp etc.
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
- And many more features